Forum Update: Facebook Connect

You can now associate your Facebook account with Dubdrift by enabling the Facebook associate button found in your Profile preferences.

It's simple, you have to link your Facebook account with your account already created in the forum.

Connect in the forum> Profile> Preferences> Connect my Facebook account

From this point, your forum account and Facebook account are linked.

Jay
Administrator

Dubai RCDubai RC  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
EP: DubDrift Sessions ● Fridays @ 5:00pm onwards ● Moven Pick Area2 ● Click HERE for location.

Latest topics
» any one here from abudhabi im new in RlC world
substitute for grease? Emptyby rommel Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:50 am

» Mini Mayhem is back!
substitute for grease? Emptyby Jay Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:55 pm

» Dubai adventure (teaser)
substitute for grease? Emptyby cv3t Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:53 am

» Rock Crawlers in Dubai?
substitute for grease? Emptyby pampoy Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:01 am

» Moven Pick Area Map
substitute for grease? Emptyby kax79 Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:34 pm

» Family Fun Fly Day, 29th November
substitute for grease? Emptyby king44 Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:54 am

» mini 4WD latest version
substitute for grease? Emptyby Jay Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:09 pm

» Rc Drift King Meydan's Cup
substitute for grease? Emptyby kax79 Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:06 am

November 2019
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
J.Drift
substitute for grease? Vote_lcapsubstitute for grease? Voting_barsubstitute for grease? Vote_rcap 
Jay
substitute for grease? Vote_lcapsubstitute for grease? Voting_barsubstitute for grease? Vote_rcap 
LaNcE
jebjeb
cathurga
Bandit
strawb
paul
chardiboi
.j0sh
Webmail
DubDrift Webmail
free forum
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

substitute for grease?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RC_joe
Test Driver

substitute for grease? Empty
PostSubject: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 12:00 am

hey guys..can i use petrolium jelly as grease,im out of gear grease and despirately nee to lubricate the car.plz help

CheerS! very happy
Back to top Go down
RC_joe
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 12:37 am

UP

nobody knows?? :| :study:
Back to top Go down
jebjeb
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
jebjeb

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 12:40 am

not sure if you can use petroleum jelly joe... but if you think its good for the gears, then go for it
Back to top Go down
RC_joe
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 12:45 am

done!!...if it dosent work i can just use a anti-grease substant to get it off..hey jebjeb,aluminium gears are avalable right?,if ya then how much would a pair cost me?...my plastic gears dont seem to be straight,theyr all bent!!..
Back to top Go down
cathurga
Lead Driver
cathurga

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 12:45 am

Depends what the gears are made of and depends which gears you want to lube...probably worth waiting until you get some decent grease?
Back to top Go down
RC_joe
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 12:53 am

ok...thanks bro..tell me about gear hop ups.these plastic ones seem to make the entire car vibrate alot.
Back to top Go down
mister-e
Test Driver
mister-e

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 1:10 am

Be carefull with grease, because any grease will attract dust.
At the end it will function as a fine grit sandpaper.
So depends where/which gear you are planning to lubricate.
No lubricant is needed for the exposed plastic to plastic mesh between the spur and pinion gear.

Otherwise, try to work with a "dry" lubricant for exterior application.
- Jig-A-Loo. Dry silicon base spray can (Ace Hardware/Spinneys).
- Du-Pont. A tube dry wax based lubricant (Ace Hardware).
Back to top Go down
RC_joe
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 2:28 am

thanks alot mister-e!..ill check out those lubs.i already have a can of CRC silicon spray.that shud work for the exposed moving plastic parts should'nt it?....n i only wanted to to put grease for the differential gears and the spur gearr..Thanx bro.
ChEErS!! :cheers: hope to slide with u soon...
Back to top Go down
Unixeer
Co-Driver
Unixeer

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 2:39 am

from my experience in both drag racing and drifting ( u can say touring as well)
you can just use some cooking oil

no no am not kidding its from an advice given to me from a pro and since then no gear ruined !!!!

as long as the mesh is correct you can go for it ( frequent cleaning and re oiling is a must )

u can compare it to a cooking plate !! it heats ans heats and no remains of the cook if u use oil

if u need another way ( the usual right way ) bearing grease can be found in radio shack for a price of 8 dirhams ( or around)
Back to top Go down
http://www.OmanST.NeT
cathurga
Lead Driver
cathurga

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 2:48 am

I would go with Mister-e advice, no need for lube on the pinion spur side. This is more exposed than the gearboxes, and more likely to get sand in...any lube there will make a nice grinding paste....and if it is a crap Tamiya pinion, it will disintegrate to make a nice, shiny metallic paste....lol
In the TT-01 gearboxes, that silicone spray will work very well....and you need very LITTLE of it. I run no grease in my mini gearboxes, I merely give them a hint of air tool oil when building...and use anti-wear grease in the diff gears, just to tighten them up a bit.

Not so sure I would use cooking oil....but it may work for some.....thing is, it is food-based, and thus is likely to break down fairly rapidly (digestive systems require this) and as it is doing so, it is likely to gum up......and stink..

but hey, what ever blows your hair back...lol
Back to top Go down
biker_jet
Test Driver
biker_jet

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 3:01 am

If you can go to ACE hardware, look for DuPont Chain saver it is an industrial lubricant and we use that in our chains. You spray them in liquid form but after 10 mins it becomes a thin coating of Teflon. It doesn't attract dust and dirt, We've been using that for high speed applications and our chains never bugged down. It is O ring safe and wont make your plastics soft. I guess, this is better than using a petroleum jelly. BTW, No cleaning required when using this lubricant since it has a self cleaning agent, just wipe the excess wax afterwards
Back to top Go down
RC_joe
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 3:09 am

hehee...lolz!!...stink!!.well cooking oil mak be good,but since this is my first chassis im not prepared
to take any risks!..thanks for the advise anyway Unixeer..
@cathurga:do u use anti-wear grease for plastic differential gears or aluminium ones?...n thanks for your help,ill try using some of that silicon spray.
@biker_jet:thanks

ChEErS bro's!!! :cheers:
Back to top Go down
cathurga
Lead Driver
cathurga

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 10:30 am

Joe, ususally only on alloy/metal gears.....the plastics will take a silicone/waxy lube, as long as it is plastic safe
Back to top Go down
.j0sh
Chase Driver
.j0sh

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 10:43 am

Are you looking for ball diff grease? Or the other one AW (anti-wear) grease?

If it's for the ball diff, I suggest you check in T&U if they have stock. Petroleum jelly is too thick and attracts too much dust.

If it's the AW grease...then I have yet to find a substitute.
Back to top Go down
RC_joe
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 3:49 pm

hmm...i guess im jus lookin for simple grease,for the ball diff..problem is that i cannot travel anywhere this week coz my dads outta town n i dont hav a driving licence yet,ill b giving my road-test as soon as dad gets back....so can anyone buy a small tube of grease if theyr going that side.id really appretiate it.ill make the payment on saturday smile .
Back to top Go down
RC_joe
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 2:50 am

NEW TOPIC!!

hey!,hi again..i wanted to know what anti-grease substant(to remove any old grease thats thre) i shud use to get the old grease off my swing arms,front and rear axles(dog bones)..and other stuff that u usually lubricate other than the ball diffrentials..i have this degreaser from CRC,but i think its too strong and might burn the plastic n leave marks.any better suggestions n where i can get them??....and after removing the old grease do i put grease for all the moving parts again or do i use some other lubricant?,coz jus yesterday i was playing with it and alot of sand got mixed upp with the grease in my axles.so what lube shud i use,i cud really use some quick advice coz i gotta get my car ready for this saturdays drift meetin.and agian,if anyone buy a small tube of grease if theyr going that side.id really appreciate it.ill make the payment on saturday..thanx very happy

cheers mates! :cheers:
Back to top Go down
Abdul Basit
Chase Driver
Abdul Basit

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 3:12 am

If you're talking about Anti-wear grease...Tamiya makes some.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXWB00&P=8

In my opinion, open up the gearboxes (front and rear), and all the other moving parts once every 2 months. Or if you use your kit very, very often, or just for personal satisfaction, you can do it once a month.

P.S, your TT01 has ball differentials? Impressive.
Back to top Go down
RC_joe
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 3:22 am

thanx abdull!,ur the man!..i was hopin some pplk wud be online l8 2day since its a holiday 2moro..how much wud anti wear grease cost me?...does i defer from shop to shop or are the prices the same everywhere?
Back to top Go down
RC_joe
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 3:24 am

n what do i use to remove the old black grease?
Back to top Go down
Abdul Basit
Chase Driver
Abdul Basit

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 3:30 am

Hmm...Tell ya' what. You can't accomplish anything today (Friday)...Unless you manage to find the right grease from a building materials shop tomorrow.

But 'soon as you get up on Saturday, call up all hobby stores, ask 'em all if they have any.
Hobby zone, Hobby center, speed hobbies, toys and us, etc. I'd post the numbers...But man I'm sleepy. Call 181 and ask 'em for the number...Lol.

I don't know how you could remove the old black grease (I only take care of things on the TT01 when they are broken...), just soak 'em in water, wash them until it's off..Then wait for them to try, and re lube everything back together...The more experienced amongst us probably have some better advice to offer though.
Back to top Go down
RC_joe
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 3:38 am

thnx bro..good night,hey guys i cud still use some good advice,gimme a heads upp
Back to top Go down
.j0sh
Chase Driver
.j0sh

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 7:55 pm

I just found out last week that there was a AW grease tube available from Tamiya. hmpp.... =/

Anyway, as for the degreaser...WD40 should do the job. =)
Back to top Go down
Abdul Basit
Chase Driver
Abdul Basit

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Josh...The AW grease tube should have come with your TA05 O_o

About the WD40. Yeah..Come to think of it, it should work fine.

...The world has to thank WD40. One of the most awesome things ever.
...Along with zip ties, ball bearings, electric tape and wax paper.

Lol.
Back to top Go down
paul
@dubdrift.com
@dubdrift.com
paul

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 10:48 pm

Joe,

stay away from the CRC degreaser that will weaken plastics, but should be fine on the dog bones..

go passed Ace hardware, they have a natural citrus based de-greaser (it smells like oranges- hahaha....seriously) in an aerosol can in the car maintenance section, that will get rid of your old grease.....and be kind to the environment at the same time.....or you can try a concentrated solution of simple green and warm water....

if you plan on playing alot in the dirt, a coat of wd40 will help protect it, it will prevetn the dirt from sticking hard to the parts and make it much easier to blow off the dirt using a compressor....
Back to top Go down
http://dirtrc.blogspot.com/
RC_joe
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 2:26 pm

ohh..thanx guys,i wasnt able to get on the net yesterday,but i did manage to accomplish some stuff on the car...i got all the black grease off by simply washing the parts in warm water with a little (pearl blum3) liquid dish soap...and as for the grease i used wd40 for all the dog bones n other exposed parts,and usred CRC silicon spray for the gears n the differential..that sud work shudnt it??..

CheerS!! very happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: substitute for grease?   substitute for grease? Empty

Back to top Go down

substitute for grease?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: EP General Forums :: EP Drifting :: Technical Discussion-
Jump to: